Wednesday, March 28, 2007

U.S.A. 0 - Guatemala 0


Ok...so the play was relatively boring, but there was a good soccer IQ without the exposure to commit to execution. Justin Mapp has a plethora of good runs only to see his burst of acceleration blocked by a Guatemalan shin or his step-over thwarted by a double team. Mapp was the player of the day for the US of A. Dempsey had his moments, but again showed me that not playing that much at Fulham is getting to his head. Everyone is saying Feilhaber and Bradley are the future of the U.S. midfielder. I see Ricardo Clark hearing that and then beating Feilhaber and Bradley to starting position. However, they were both solid, Bradley especially. The American backline was shaky and Carlos Ruiz gave them a bit a trouble. I am all for Jay Demerit getting a cap, but if he can’t handle the likes of Lomano Lua-Lua of Portsmouth or Giorgios Samaras of Man City (“lower-tier” Premiership strikers and guys who gave Jay particular trouble), how can he handle the likes of CONCACAF strikers Marlon King, Carlos Ruiz, and Kikin Fonseca. Granted we got the clean sheet, but I don’t think we’ll see Demerit starting come qualifying (and I don’t think many people even expected that). Kenny Cooper also looked remarkably oafy. His touch was pretty bad. I thought he was supposed to be the Yao Ming of the MLS. With all this said, I don’t see this as a step back. Bob Bradley still deserves the position. Dear Bob, I know that’ll inflate the head, but please don’t go losing to China 5-0. Thanks, Breton.

Answer me that pop quiz at the bottom of this post. I will mail you a tootsie roll and a picture of Eddie Johnson signed by me if you do.


Player Ratings:

FC: Eddie Johnson (5) – better than last game but still doody
FC: Landon Donovan (6) – did Ecuador get to his head? No real help though
ML: Justin Mapp (7.5) – his runs were countered but of the right mind
MC: Benny Feilhaber (6) – better vision, but still shaky
MC: Michael Bradley (7) – solid, he really does seem to get it
MR: Clint Dempsey (6) – somebody tell Chris Coleman to play him
DL:
Jonathan Spector (5.5) – 21 caps, but still shaky to me, only 21 though
DC: Jimmy Conrad (7) – a real presence in the back, had problem with speed
DC: Jay Demerit (6) – there is potential, but he’s still raw
DR: Frankie Simek (6) – physical, feisty, decision making will come
GK: Kasey Keller (6) – made saves when he had to, but nothing pressing

Sub: Kenny Cooper (5.5) on in the 59th minute for Benny Feilhaber
Sub:
Brian Mullan on (-) in the 67th minute for Eddie Johnson
Sub: Wade Barrett (-) on in the 74th minute for Jonathan Spector

Team Average: 6.125


Unused Substitutes:

Steve Cherundolo
Damarcus Beasley
Kyle Kelderman
Brad Guzan
Brian Carroll
Taylor Twellman

Next up for USMNT: vs. China, June 2nd, 2007

POP QUIZ:


Who said “My knee! Oooooh my knee?!”

Which star soccer player (not playing) raised his arms only for national television to capture some nasty pit stains?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Twellman wasn't actually listed as a sub. I heard he had the flu, so that might explain it.

Breton said...

The answers are.............

1. the commentator other than Wynalda. I forget who it was now. Wynalda made the joke that he was not "going to pull a Tanya Harding Nancy Kerrigan" if Landon Donovan beat his scoring record, this dude responded with, "ooooh ahhh my knee my knee"

2. Freddy Adu: as perceptive as I am I wish I didn't pick up on this. those spots were grapefruit-sized. no clue why i compared them to fruit, but what the hell...