Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Miglioranzi the Portsmouth Castoff Strikes for MLS Goal #1

Columbus 2, Kansas City 0
Columbus Crew Stadium

Hey, it wasn't a pretty win - but three points is exactly what the doctor ordered for Sigi Schmid and this frustrating Columbus squad. And was that a smile on Guillermo Barros Schelloto's face I saw - or was it a shadow playing tricks on me? Two "first goals of the season" several minutes apart were the deciders in this match-up of first vs. last in the Eastern Conference. Eddie Gaven (sometimes I think we forget that this kid is still young enough to make a difference) and Stefani Miglioranzi scored the winners for Columbus. The game was borderline ugly and Kansas City didn't look great, which is why I haven't understood their rise in the power rankings. They haven't dismantled teams like the Red Bulls or ahem...D.C. United, but instead they have capitalized on opponents' mistakes (Movsisyan's 2 goals against RBNY). I can explain myself if someone wants to argue with me. Regardless, Columbus gave them a taste of their own medicine and won in front of a scant and somewhat unfortunate home crowd.
Because I Think...'s MVP: Alejandro Moreno, the guy is a frickin' workhorse and although Schelloto had another performance warranting a standing ovation from the Columbus crowd, it was Moreno's runs and determination is what kept the Crew from slowing down.


CMB: Gaven (1), Miglioranzi (1)
KCW: NONE

No comments: