Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Paolo Wanchope to join Blanco at the Fire and guess what? Jose Mourinho plans to chill out!


Paolo Wanchope is one of those guys that you could swear has been playing for 25 years (kinda like Abel Xavier). The Tico-legend has instead taken the globe-trekker approach and gone from Costa Rica to England to Spain, at some point to Argentina, etc. He has played most recently for FC Tokyo in Japan but also has had seasons with Derby County, West Ham United, Manchester City in the Championship and Premiership respectively. Within English competition, the 30-year Costa Rican has racked up a respectable 81 goals to match his equally respectable tally of 45 goals in 72 caps for the Costa Rican national team.
The brief details of the deal were first reported by Luis Arroyave of the Chicago Tribune and I am sure he will continue to keep us all updated.

Check out Wanchope's brace against Germany in the 2006 WC (as well as all 4 German goals)

JOSE MOURINHO plans to CALM DOWN


As for Jose Mourinho - his plan for his fourth season at Chelsea is to mellow out and, well, not hog the damn spotlight. Amidst all this talk to Skysports, however, he still managed to get a crack in at Arsenal's Arsene Wenger. Read on...

"I want to be more mellow this year," Mourinho told The Sun. "I am what I am but, at the same time, people use my personality to create something that is not true.

"It is normal if I am emotional or if I react to something that is not fair.

"But people have an image of me that's incorrect and now I want it to be different.

"I won't hug Arsene Wenger because he's not a close friend. But he can say what he wants about us.

"He can complain about a lot of things as he did in the past. I'm not ready to react. I just want to do my work and concentrate on that.

"I look at our opponents because I need to know the way they play but I'm not interested in what they say.

"My relationships with other people will not change. My bottle of wine with Ferguson will still be a bottle of wine, my handshake with Wenger will still be a handshake."

Mourinho also reiterated the fact that he is content with life at Chelsea and is in no hurry to leave the club.

"This is the first time I have started a fourth season with the same club and I feel great," added Mourinho. "I am happy with what we've done.

"I am happy with the relationship I have with my players and with the people who work with me. It's the best place to work so I am happy to be part of the Chelsea future. I didn't want to move.

"I think I did a good job at Chelsea for three years but I want to do more.

"I am loved in Portugal but my life is better in London.

"The way people approach me is different. In London, you have more space. My life is a simple life."


I do think it's good that he even wants to try - Ferguson and Wenger all mellowed out and some point and despite their ups and downs, neither has ever really seriously thought about leaving the UK. One side note: if David Beckham - Mr. Emotional - and Jose Mourinho - a different kind of Mr. Emotional - were the same person, that person would inevitably be the biggest head case known to man. I have to admit, if you watched some of that hour Beckham program (New Beginnings) on ESPN before the game, Beckham cries a lot, more than normal people...Mourinho, on the other hand, will eventually have a conniption if he doesn't mellow out, so watch the guy this year...and let's see if he keeps to his word.

No comments: